Another “How To” video for Homeowners and Contractors – What Grass Is That- ZOYSIA GRASS – uploaded to Youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/YourLawnAndGarden on 24/5/2016.
For your Fact Sheet go to FACT-SHEET-WhatGrassIsThat-Zoysia .
Video Script for What Grass Is That – Zoysia Grass as follows:
1) Gidday it’s the lawn expert
2) In the last video we talked about the 2 main grass types being Cool Season & Warm Season Grasses
3) With the Warm Season Grasses we have a great variety including Buffalo, Queensland Blue Couch, Zoysia, Couch, Kikuyu and Seashore Paspalum
4) Today we will focus on Zoysia grass and have a look at a sample of Zoysia grass.
5) When referring to particular plants (and animals) we may use common names or we may use scientific names. Common names are names given by local people to refer to plants and animals. Common names may be totally different from one country to another, from one state to another, and even from one county to another. For example, in Australia we have Couch grass also known as Bermuda Grass in North America. And The Australian Buffalo Grass is known as St Augustine grass in North America. Buffalo grass is the same grass referred to by the Yanks as St Augustine, just so we are on the same page. Zoysia grass is the same common name in Australia and North America. Some varieties of Zoysia include Nara Zoysia, Empire Zoysia and Zeon Zoysia.
6) The scientific name for Zoysia Grass is Zoysia japonica – this name is the same worldwide for what we know as Zoysia Grass. The latin / scientific name ensures we are talking about the same species.
7) Out of all the warm season grasses there are only 2 that don’t have the underground runners or rhizomes these are Buffalo and Queensland Blue couch. Not a bad thing but just saying. All the others like couch, zoysia and kikuyu have both stolons & rhizomes.
8) What do I like? Well it really depends on the site factors. I like all grasses as they come in all shapes and colours, however, there is a place for all of them. I have seen really nice Landscape Designs where different grass species are used in different parts of the landscape. In one case I have seen Buffalo and Zoysia planted in the same property, however, separated by garden features or footpaths.
9) Let’s have a look at a sample of well kept Zoysia grass.
10) In return and as a favour to me, please SUBSCRIBE to our Youtube channel at https://www.youtube.com/user/yourlawnandgarden and please SHARE our video to your friends on Facebook, Linkedin and Pinterest. Also, please give us the THUMBS up and LIKE our video!!!