Another “How To” video for Homeowners and Contractors – What Grass Is That – uploaded to Youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/YourLawnAndGarden on 17/5/2016.
For your Fact Sheet go to FACT-SHEET-WhatGrassIsThat .
Video Script for What Grass Is That as follows:
1) Gidday it’s the lawn expert
2) What Turf Grass is That?
3) Turf grasses are classified in 2 broad categories:
- Cool season turf grasses
- Warm season turf grasses
4) Cool season turf grasses (common and botanical/latin names) include:
- Perennial Rye grass – Lolium perenne
- Creeping bentgrass – Agrostis palustris
- Tall fescue – Festuca arundinacea
- Kentucky bluegrass – Poa pratensis
5) Warm season turf grasses (common and botanical/latin names) include:
- Couch – Cynodon dactylon
- Centipede grass – Eremochloa ophiuroides
- Kikuyu – Pennisetum clandestinum
- Buffalo – Stenotaphrum secundatum
- Zoysia – Zoysia japonica
- Durban – Dactyloctenium australe
- Seashore Paspalum – Paspalum vaginatum
- Queensland Blue Couch – Digitaria didactyla
6) When referring to particular plants (and animals) we may use common names or we may use scientific names.
7) Common names are names given by local people to refer to plants and animals. Common names may be totally different from one country to another, from one state to another, and even from one county to another.
8) For example, in Australia we have Couch grass also known as Bermuda Grass in North America. And The Australian Buffalo Grass is known as St Augustine grass in North America.
9) However, the latin name ensures we are talking about the same species.
10) Hope this helps.
11) In return and as a favour to me, please SUBSCRIBE to our Youtube channel at https://www.youtube.com/user/yourlawnandgarden and please SHARE our video to your friends on Facebook, Linkedin and Pinterest. Also, please give us the THUMBS up and LIKE our video!!!